Sunday, May 1, 2011

Social Affliction

I like to ask paradoxical open-ended questions that I don't expect an answer to, just ask my wife, it drives her crazy!  A few questions I've been thinking about lately have to do with the creative process and the psyche of a creative person.  Do you have to be a tortured soul to create great art or tell a great story?  Do you have to be socially awkward to drive yourself to create your own world?  My favorite question though has to be "is it possible to know you have issues and a possible disorder and still be creative or is it ignorance to those issues that makes you that tortured soul and an artist?"  I don't think any of us want to think that we are as weird or out there as some of the people that we know but in all honesty we aren't a whole lot different.  I think creative people tend to drop the facade and put away their masks and let their story show but the great thing is there is no one right answer.  Some might say the great writers are just very good liars.  Really all it takes is something to prick your heart or mind in some way that makes you scratch an itch until that art or story starts to surface.  For me it was a song I heard that cemented a story that had been rolling around in my mind and then it just started pecking itself out on my keyboard.  I have found a big stumbling block to my writing to be social media.  I have spent a lot more time than I should have on twitter, facebook, and blogging.  Since I am practically perfect in every way, I am putting all my eggs in one basket and betting on the disorder that makes me a great writer to be a social media disorder.  I believe it's called Bi-Tweet-a-Blogosis.

1 comment:

  1. I only have these disorders at small intervals of time, which is basically when I'm writing or thinking about writing. It takes time for things to marinate in my mind before I put it down on paper or screen. I will admit that Twitter, facebook, and blogging are taking up a considerable amount of time away from writing. Nonetheless, it is a necessary time loss to establish a platform in which to promote your own work.

    ReplyDelete